Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
There’s nothing quite like the pleasures of simple, yet great comfort food. A favorite of my eldest, Ginny. This is comfort food at its best - it’s so simple and so delicious! If you’ve never had tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich, what are you waiting for? Let’s go.
What you need:
- 750 grams of ripe tomatoes
- 1 small potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 sprigs of basil
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup of vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream (optional)
- 1/4 cup of parsley or basil, finely chopped for garnish
- Place all ingredients, except the parsley and cream into a saucepan with the stock. Bring to a boil and let it simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Serve soup with a swirl of cream (optional) and sprinkle with chopped parsley or more basil if you like. Serve with yummy grilled cheese sandwiches (read below for further info). Enjoy!
Note: I used a hand blender to make the soup smoother, if you prefer the chunky version skip this step.
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
I used Italian bread, and smeared garlic butter (For this I mixed butter with minced garlic and Italian seasonings) on each slice and used american cheese, you can use Cheddar cheese or any other cheese of your preference. Then you grill it and eat it, of course!